National Surveillance Camera Day 2019
edTech / June 20, 2019
Have you ever thought about how often your child’s image is captured by someone else in school?
Does your school use ceiling and classroom wall cameras? Some are the size of a 50 pence piece and can even record voice.
Or how many CCTV cameras are in school, on the playground and in the library, corridors or bathrooms?
Perhaps safeguarding in schools software allows the remote control of the webcam to photograph your child?
Perhaps the road crossing or school staff wear bodycams?
Ask your child. Ask their school.
- What surveillance technology is in use?
- Which data are captured?
- Where are those images and voice or other biometrics stored?
- Who has access to the data?
- How long are they kept and when are they destroyed?
- Why is all this surveillance in schools really necessary?
Is it really necessary?
Is it making children more secure?
Or does it pose more of a risk?
Thanks to UCL Global Citizenship Programme students for this fabulous short film made as part of their Active Citizenship 2019 summer programme. Well done all.